Use RECIPE to fine tune your RIE, ICP, DRIE, Bosch Etch processes. Predict sidewall profiles and etch issues before you enter the fab.
RECIPE for success
RECIPE is a powerful, easy-to-use RIE/ICP (Reactive Ion Etch/Inductive Coupled Plasma) etch process simulation tool for use in designing microstructures. With RECIPE, you can layout your microstructure and automatically simulate isotropic, RIE, ICP/Bosch/DRIE etching or any combination of the three processes. RECIPE supports the simulation of both ion-assisted etching and deposition processes. In fact, it is the only tool on the market for simulating the deep etching of silicon and other substrates.
IntelliSense recognizes that differences in etch systems can cause a large variance between any simulation and experimental results. In order to minimize these differences, simple setup methodology is provided to calibrate RECIPE models with your etch machines.
(click to enlarge)
Bowl and stem etch
Simulation of a classic bowl and stem etch showing the evolution of the etch profile. Features such as RIE lag, scalloping, feature size dependency can be seen in the simulation.
Sequential Multiple Etches
RECIPE allows you to explore novel structures and allows you to tailor your cross sections on a PC, rather than performing cumbersome and costly clean room experimentation. For instance, you can easily perform an anisotropic RIE etch, an isotropic etch and a Bosch etch ¡ª one right after another! In addition, you can use an isotropic etch to explore front-side release of structures.
(click to enlarge)
Click on the above pictures of validation of RECIPE against experimental results. IntelliSense owes a large debt to its University Partners in the development and validation of RECIPE, in particular, Peking University, Institute of Microelectronics.
RECIPE offers you the ability to simulate a variety of RIE/ICP-related effects. These include:
• Predict sidewall scalloping roughness and periodicity
• Predict final dimensions and shape of features
• Predict sidewall angles
• Simulation of RIE lag. You can estimate how much more quickly larger features etch compared with smaller features as a function of process parameters
• Positive angle or negative (retrograde) etching
• RIE notching and etch termination (pinch-off) behavior
• Front-side release processes in SOI based processes
• Bowl and stem etches (combination of isotropic and anisotropic etching) to form wine glass shapes for improved step coverage
• Release prediction: isotropic release of plates for poly-silicon-based MEMS
• Trench refill and trench isolation simulation for high-voltage circuits
• Angled etching of substrates
Process Debug In Action
See how RECIPE and IntelliFAB can help you in process debug